Brigade HQ – BOU ARADA.
A patrol of 1 RIrF suffered casualties from Anti Personal S Mines in area 6611. A patrol to gully 6707 brought back some interesting articles including a notice in Arabic.
Two troops C/142 RAC (Churchills) came under command into area 625068.
Brigade Intelligence Summary was issued.
Brigade Commander was appointed to command ‘Y’ Division.
1200 Lt-Col TPD Scott, 1 RIrF , was appointed to command the brigade during the existence of ‘Y’ Division and arrived at this HQ.
A letter was sent to Bttns re 36 Grenade.
1900 Brigade Commander’s conference was held by Lt-Col Scott. IO outlined the fighting in the south and the following points were then discussed.
- Corps commander against having a heterogeneous reserve. Therefore, proposed to adjust positions and bring 1 RIrF into reserve.
- 152 Field Regiment being relieved night 21/21 Feb. To make road safe, 2 LIR to lend 6 Innisks carrier section for patrolling.
- Possible that diversion would have to be staged to help southern operations. Paratroops would attack Magra. Brigade (with only one Coy unless otherwise ordered) would go for some isolated feature.
- Anti Personnel Mines in brigade defence system discussed.
- 1 RIrF to send patrol of one platoon into mountains daily.
1 RIrF – GRANDSTAND HILL.
The events and activities of the night are recorded in detail in the Appendix.
0730 Lt-Col TPD Scott assumed command of 38 (Irish) Infantry Brigade and Major BH Butler of 1 RIrF. Activity – normal. The Sergeant of Patrol Magic died at 1 Field Ambulance during the morning.
1900 The CO attended a conference at HQ 38 (Irish) Infantry Brigade, the subject of which was the thinning out of the troops on the ground on the Brigade front and the withdrawal of 1 RIrF into counter attack reserve.
6 Innisks – IN THE FIELD.
1000 Conference. A quiet day up to dinner time but roads are wet.
Lt Hanna is taken as IO of force now under command of our Brigadier. Lt-Col Scott, 1 RIrF, now in command of the Brigade. Conference at Brigade for COs at 1900 hrs. CO goes in A/Tk portee. The only vehicle that will get through the mud is a portee. It is decided to have a reshuffle of Bttns. It is decided to put A and B back on the Grandstand, C on West Hill and D to remain where they are.
A busy artillery night. Major Black, C Battery 152, is now with us vice Major Knox. Also Major Clarke of 504 Battery 140 Field Regiment. It is the first time that 140 Field have been in action anywhere in Tunisia.
0200 Patrol ‘Tin’ to recce area farms 646113/642123 – nothing to report.
0230 Recce Patrol ‘Gold’ to 628124 – point 231 662 128 – farm 617112 – nothing to report.