Brigade HQ – KELBINE.

0100 – 0130 Enemy mortars engaged area 5645.

6 Innisks HQ (560453) were intermittently shelled.

0400 Dawn patrols on north flank saw no sign of counter attack.

During the day, there was slight sniping of 6 Innisks and 1 RIrF’s; positions remained the same.

1630 Sitrep sent to 78 Division.

The attack of 1 RIrF was postponed and in the afternoon, the Divisional Commander visited the Command Post.

The idea was discussed of waiting until the US infantry caught up, but Tanngoucha had to be taken as trouble was coming from there in attacks on Longstop.

On this day, Lt JF Harrison (LO) was admitted to 152 Field Ambulance and struck off the strength.

A letter was sent to Bttn on the right and wrong use of the R/T code.

Night Quiet night. LOs again spent night with 6 Innisks and 2 LIR. 1 RIrF again found signs of occupation in the Butler’s Hill area.


Heavy mist all the morning made further attacks impossible. A quiet day. Captain WG Biggar wounded by sniper.

6 Innisks – TANNGOUCHA.

Retained previous positions on lower slopes of Tanngoucha. Slight mortaring and machine gunning from the enemy, which was answered by our MGs and mortars from positions in rear in area of the original start line. Weather warm with mist in the morning and evening.

CO called to Brigade conference at midnight back near Kelbine and was provided by Brigade with a horse for the return journey. Casualties for the day: 8 ORs. B Coy remained in reserve, re-forming.

Lance Corporal Eric Jennings, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Fusilier Francis Bygrave, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Fusilier John Hall, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Lance Corporal Frederick Hall, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

2 LIR.

0530 Patrols last night all report contact with enemy. Enemy mortar located in gully of Red Roof House towards Heidous. Patrols fired on by mortar and machine guns. One enemy machine gun put out of action by 2” mortar.

Night patrols to Heidous – G Company patrol put enemy machine gun out of action by hand grenades.