On 18th March 1944, the Irish Brigade received orders to move to the eastern bank of the River Gari facing the heavily fortified village of San Angelo in Theodice. The Faughs and Irish Rifles duly moved to their new positions on 23rd March, but they only spent three days there before being withdrawn from the line for a short period. At the end of the month, the entire brigade had taken over the French Corps’ defensive positions on the upper slopes of Monte Castellone and near to the village of Caira.
After a most uncomfortable few weeks of static warfare, by 25th April, all three battalions had been relieved by Polish forces and were withdrawn to a most peaceful rest area near to Formicola.
Read Pat Scott’s narrative of the late March to early May 1944 period by clicking on the links below:
Read ‘Cracking the Gustav Line’ here.